WiRWiB - Wordnet Based suggestive writing aid for creative writing in English and Hindi
|dictionary, , thesaurus, , Writing Aid, , Creative Wirting,|
|Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 - 05:17|
|Week: 6 - Month: 34 - Year: 656 - Timeline|
Write it Right, Write it Better (WiR WiB) is a writing aid, an extension for OpenOffice.org. It is a plugin for WordNet® that provides online help by suggesting better options for a typed word and correct usage with examples. The extension works for both English as well as Hindi WordNet® and prompts synonym options to the user based on her locale settings. The purpose of this tool is to assist the users in writing impressively. It does not promote incomprehensible writing by using fancy words. The authors of the extension fully support simple writing styles and only want to encourage vocabulary enhancement by making this tool.
WiRWiB provides two levels of language assistance. First it suggests synonyms from the WordNet®. Secondly it also describes the correct usage of the words with examples. This information is obtained from the usage description and examples provided by WordNet®. WiRWiB does not require the user to explicitly invoke it for every typed word. Once enabled using a toggle button on the OpenOffice.org toolbar, it continues to query the WordNet® database and prompt the user with the usage and synonym information about the word. The prompts are non intrusive and do not interfere the user's work at hand.
WiRWiB is hence very unique in its persistent (user does not have to invoke it explicitly for every word) and non-intrusive way of providing writing assistance to users. Since a user might not be aware of the possibility of using a better word, it is a good idea to prompt the user with the available options.
1. Download and install OpenOffice.org 2.4.2 or higher if you do not have one already.
2. Install latest Sun Java SE 6 (JRE or JDK) and enable OpenOffice.org to use it through Tools->Options->General->Java
3. Download WiRWiB.oxt.
4. Start the OpenOffice.org Writer.
5. Go to Tools --> Extension Manager
6. Select "My Extensions"
7. Click on the "Add" button given on the right side of this dialog.
8. The above action will invoke a file chooser.
9. Browse to the file system location where you have saved "WiRWiB.oxt".
10. Select "WiRWiB.oxt".
11. OpenOffice.org will copy the relevant files and install the add-on.
11. Click on "Close"
12. Restart OpenOffice.org
13. Using OpenOffice.org Menubar, go to Tools --> Options --> Language Settings --> Writing Aids.
Ensure that WiRWiB is enabled and available as a writing aid. (The check box on the left of WiRWiB is checked). Click Edit Button on the right side and enable WiRWiB for both English(USA) and Hindi Locales.
14. Next time you start OpenOffice.org, you can see a small WiRWiB (W) icon. Click on it to open a window. Type in English or Hindi to see the suggestions.